Game For The Cause is an Austin-based gaming convention whose proceeds are entirely donated to SAFE. SAFE works with the Austin, TX community to end sexual and domestic violence.
Molly and Tom Wright founded GFTC in 2013, after some inspiration from Give to Game. Why do we support SAFE?
- 9,315 calls made in 2011 to 9-1-1 were classified as domestic violence.
- In 2011, there were six domestic violence related homicides.
- At any given time, approximately 60,000 Austinites are experiencing violence by an intimate partner.
- SAFE received 12,843 domestic violence related hotline calls in 2011.
With your help, SAFE can continue giving aid to those in need. By 2010, SAFE reported that:
- 12,868 hotline calls from survivors of sexual and domestic violence, their families and allies were answered.
- 804 people received emergency shelter for a total of 36,680 nights of safe sleep.
- 345 rape survivors were accompanied to area hospitals.
As gamers, let’s come together and have fun at a convention, while simultaneously helping abused families find safety, security, and peace.